Saturday 27 December 2014

Telling the truth always has it's perks

Kinley AD Commercial 


We all have several stories from our childhood and our schooling days and these memories stay with us forever, in fact these very stories have shaped the individuals that we are today. This is one such story where I realized the importance of being “truthful” and “honest”.

This story is of 1972 when I was in the 6th grade and it was a usual day in the school. But on this day, there was inspection going on and people from outside had come to visit and check the classes. We students were summoned to the school ground where we all had to stay till the school ended but many of the students started going home (without seeking permission) and I followed them and went home too, not realizing that a permission ought to be sought before going home.

Next day I came to school and saw a huge line outside the staff room of teachers. I saw that students were being punished and suspended for a week – and all these students were being punished for going to their home without telling the teachers. Further, they were all lying and telling that they didn’t go home, which made it all the more worse.

I was praying to get saved; I didn’t want to get suspended. When my turn came and my Science teacher asked me “did you go home yesterday!” – I decided that everyone’s getting punished so I shall not take the path of lying but instead tell the truth and if I do get punished – at least I wont be a liar. I replied to my sir “yes sir, I went home yesterday”.

I further added “I went home because our exams are approaching and I felt that I should go home and study rather than sit all day in the ground” – and this in fact was the VERY reason that I decided to follow others who were going to their respective homes.
My science sir looked at me in the typical teacher fashion, very strictly at first.. Few seconds later he smiled and said “good”… “you told the truth and admitted that you went home and told us the reason why”.. We understand and you have a valid reason to go home but you should have sought our permission.


Even though everyone else was being suspended for 1 week, I got away by just a note in my diary from my science teacher and that’s all.. I wasn’t suspended and I attended regular classes and all this because I decided to tell the truth and not hide behind a lie. Hence I say that telling the truth sure is hard but it always has it’s perks – this is just another story from my childhood which shaped me to be a better individual and a truthful one. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment