Sunday 1 March 2015

Being self-reliant : basic principle of life

I've learned from my father that life must be lived with this principle - "do not expect anything from others, always try to stand on their expectations". This very principle of life apprehends as to how my father has instilled in me the principle of always standing on the expectations of others, always thinking of others betterment first before mine (not being selfish) and always ensuring that I stand on the expectations that my father has from me.

My father was a civil engineer, someone who put in really extreme hours of hard work to provide food on our table. Be it summers, raining or chilly winters, I always saw my father being dedicated to his work and never making any excuse to take a day off. Even when he had the option of supervising the construction from home, he always preferred to go on the sight and work with the builders there.

Another very important thing that my father taught me was to respect people who worked for us - drivers, servants, maids, security guards. I remember when I was 6 years old, I called our driver by his name and my father instantly told me "Munnu, bad manners", call him bhaiya and give him respect. At such young age, he instilled such principles and values in me that I standby even today and have tried to instill the same values in my son.

Having 4 sons, I'm definite that my father often had financial troubles and to my shock; even in the most dire of the times, he never told us about his problems and always provided for our luxuries. Even though we as brothers understood the kind of financial background we had but sometimes we did ask for money and NEVER did I hear my father say "NO".

My father has taught me to be self dependent "Apne Dum Pe Jeeyo", one of the basic concept of life. It's because of being self dependent that today, I'm able to lead a life of dignity and have a life in which I can walk with my head held high and not only me, I hope that standing by the principles and ethics my father instilled in me, I've made him proud too.

Apne ko apne dum pe jeena sikhao - these words stand very true to my father, who has always taught me and my brothers to be self-dependent and it's because of the values he instilled in me that I'm to lead a life of principles in today's competitive world, where people are often tempted to compromise on principles to climb the ladder of success.

Therefore I say, it's because of my father's mantra of "apne dum pe jeeyo" that I've become self-reliant and these are the very values that must be instilled in future generations.

0 comments:

Post a Comment